Thursday, February 25, 2010

Time for a change...

For years I have always found it necessary to change the look of my hair during major life events. Moving to new places, breaking up with boyfriends, starting a new job... all of these events are a call for me to reinvent my look. I like knowing when I look at pictures of myself exactly what year it was taken in! I know I was a blonde my sophomore year of college, I had pink highlights and a funky cut my junior year, growing it out and blonde again my senior year, brown to start work at the space center, and cut short after I started dating Dereck. I went back to natural and grown out again for my wedding, then cut short after the I-Do's were complete. Now we are about to move to Japan and I will be in a new home, a new job (hopefully!), and in a totally new country. I need new hair.

I haven't decided on a cut yet, since I'm not sure what I want to do. I'm thinking of letting my hair have some length because Japan is supposed to be humid and I can work with my waves instead of fighting against them! But if I go short enough my hair doesn't want to curl at all so I'm still undecided on that. However, I am decided on a new color. My hair has lightened up over the summer months in  Little Rock and it no longer looks very good. My eyebrows are naturally a shade (or 3!) darker than my hair but when my hair lightens up so much it looks unnatural even tho my hair hasn't been dyed for months and months. I bought an ammonia free natural hair dye in the color of bright natural brown (or something like that). If I use ash brown it takes away my red tones but leaves my hair dull. If I use a light or reddish brown my natural red tones pop out and I become a redhead! (I have done this before... haha). So natural brown it is.

Before:


After:




What do you think? It still pulled some red tones but I'm okay with that. I like my red undertones I just didn't want to be a red-head!

2 comments:

  1. like it! good choice.

    i never really thought about using hair as a life-change indicator, but that's actually a pretty neat idea. my hair style changes used to only happen when i was in MN (i was too cheap to pay for a haircut while i was on my own in FL). but recently it's been life-changing event-driven as well. i grew it for months and months before the wedding, and then chopped it up to my shoulders afterward.

    i'm thinking of growing mine even longer than it is now (a few inches below the shoulder) for the rest of the year depending on whether or not i can convince my friends to follow through on this superhero themed halloween idea. i'd like to have my hair at least halfway down my back if i'm going to pull off a decent Jean Grey/Phoenix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hair is a great indicator of life changes too! Working in a hair salon and having a best friend that does hair is perfect!! :-)

    ReplyDelete