Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My First Quilt (progress update 1)

So I have started to work on my very first quilt. I cute the squares a while back while in Little Rock, then finished sewing all the squares together a few weeks ago. Earlier this week I laid them all out and cut the extra fabric that will be put between each quilt square. Its obviously not the correct size to fit on any bed, so I think its going to be more of a couch quilt. Next time I'll focus on sizing it correctly to fit a bed... but back to THIS quilt. I really like the colors and patterns of the quilt... the reds are bright and the musical prints are so much fun. I have a red flannel picked out for the backing, but first I need to finish piecing together the front of it. I'm not sure if I am actually going to try machine quilting it or doing a tie quilt using yarn at the major joint points. I guess I'll decide after I have the top all sewn and pick out what type of batting to use. Dereck and I have yet to decide if we want to keep this one, since its my first!, or perhaps give it out as a gift. I guess that is yet another thing to be determined. Below are photos of the quilt laid out on the floor, and a close up of the different blocks. The blocks should be horizontal, like in the photo of my main quilt... but for some reason when they uploaded they turned vertical and I don't know how to fix it! Anyways, you get the idea!





4 comments:

  1. like it! can't wait for the big reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it- you should keep it since it's your first. I tied my first one with embroidery thread and it held, but after usage and a washing, the batting is bunchy and messed up. If you do tie, make sure you do lots of ties! I machine quilted my second one, just did straight lines and was very careful to pin well so it would feed on my normal foot(I actually used safety pins) and it worked well! The batting has held up much better in that one. Have fun, can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plane Jane -- Love your pages! And your sewing projects! I'm a very avid quilter and will be heading in August 2011 to Tokyo to live for three years. I'm wondering what sorts of costs for fabrics I will face once I get there. Can you give me an idea what 100% cotton goes for per metre? I have seen your posts on another blog site re: places to find fabric in Tokyo and I'm so psyched to get there and continue quilting. Thanks for any information you can send me. Kelly. (kelly.stine@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kelly! I hope you love living in Japan. I've actually stocked up a LOT on fabric before moving here, and I suggest you do the same if you have a specific project in mind because I've found fabric here to be expensive. Of course, that's a relative term since I'm a bargin fabric shopper! Usually quilters cotton here goes between 800 and 1200 Yen per meter, which is like $10-15USD (yikes!) The only good thing is they have some really, really, really cute fabrics. Best of luck! I STILL haven't finished this quilt... woops... but I've done a lot of little projects instead :-)

    ReplyDelete