Yup, its been two weeks already. Can you believe it? I can't!
So what have we been up to? Well Friday was a sad day for Dereck's squadron, as they had a memorial service for a young man to had passed away. This tragedy happened right when we first got here so we had not met this man yet, but we still felt the sadness as we saw our new friends mourn his loss. I attended the squadron gathering after the memorial and met a few more people in Dereck's squadron, then we just spent the night in having some drinks at a friend's apartment. We didn't really feel like exploring Japan that evening.
Saturday was pretty relaxing, though that night we did go out for dinner at a Japanese Viking, which is a buffet style restaurant. Our friend Russ drove us the 10-15 minutes to the place and after a bit of a wait we ended up with a table. The table has a little grill in the middle of it, where we can cook our own meat and veggie choices. Notice the squid to the right... that was Dereck's! haha
The buffet also had sushi (I only had one eel roll...it looked sketchy to me), some fried foods and noodles, and desserts.
All in all, it was pretty good, but not my favorite of the places we have been so far. Dereck and our friend Russ really enjoyed it though! I did like the selection of Japanese desserts though. They are less sweet than American desserts so you feel like you can eat more of them! Uh oh... that might be bad... haha
Sunday marked the first day of a week long exercise on base where they prepare for certain emergency situations. Dereck has had very random duties during the past few days, since he is not yet able to fly here, he can't do any of the flight drills. So he's had very random hours which have kept us from doing too much the last few days.
A big thing for me has been that on Monday I had a meeting with the coordinator/liaison for a Japanese Military English School called Camp Kodaira. It looks like I will be a substitute for a while, and then at the end of August, I will have my own weekly class. I am very excited and will learn more about it tomorrow during another meeting. I'll keep you all updated as I know more! But it looks like I'll have a job (even if it's only once a week) so that makes me pretty happy!
Also, sorry to those who have been asking about our car. I have not gotten around to taking pictures of it yet, but I hope to do so soon and have a whole post about our car and driving in Japan!
Sayonara!
No comments:
Post a Comment