Friday, March 19, 2010

Sensory Overload!

So the last few days in Japan have been crazy. I have enjoyed myself but have described it as being in "Sensory Overload". One of the major differences that affects me daily is that in Japan you drive on the left side of the road. This makes a simple trip from one side of the base to another an experience! We did not get our drivers licenses until today (and have yet to actually drive) but even just riding around with friends it makes your heart skip a beat to turn out in what should be in front of oncoming traffic, to realize that we are actually okay. Its so strange. I'm sure to have a "driving in Japan" post once I actually get behind the wheel of a car.

Another difference is feeling so foreign. As soon as we step off base I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb. Of course, my bewildered expression probably doesn't help that much either. All around me is another language, which I have yet to understand (and probably wont even after trying to learn it in the 3 years I am here). And even on base you hear Japanese all the time. A lot of Japanese Nationals are employed in base; from the housing office to the BX, there will be Japanese Nationals working there. I have already gotten accustomed to using "Arigato Gozaimasu" for my "thank you very much" when ordering/paying/etc. Thank you will probably start to sound strange after a while.

One thing that is different, but FANTASTIC, is how clean and nice the city has been so far. We have only ventured out in the immediate area, but for it being so crowded and with so many buildings, its so surprising to see the streets so clean. The trains are immaculate and the stores I have been in so far are very well taken care of, clean, and open. Its great! I would have thought a big crowded city with something in your view every direction you turn would look sloppy, but it really doesn't. Its actually quite nice!

I will try to post a blog about both driving and the train system once I am more familiar with the two. So far my experiences have been good, but it still feels so new and strange that I don't think I could write a good blog about it right now!

So for now its, Sayonara!

No comments:

Post a Comment