Monday, August 16, 2010

Yummy (and healthy!) Peach Crumble

So in my recent decision to eat much healthier (yay for a great lifestyle change!) I've been looking for ways to get my sweet tooth satisfied without the sugar overload. Here is a great recipe I found in The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone. It was a pretty great success at a spouse social function, and it definitely satisfied that sweet tooth of mine... all with no refined sugars. I will post the recipe as written, then let you know what I did as substitutes since I couldn't find all the ingredients in my limited selection here in Japan. When baked as written it is considered Vegan, but since I substituted in some honey I don't know if it is anymore (I don't know all the Vegan rules since I don't follow that diet). Also, as written in the book, try getting as many organic ingredients as possible.

filling:
2.5-3 cups sliced fresh or thawed frozen peaches
1 cup blueberries
1 3/4 cups apple juice
2 tablespoons kuzu (I substituted corn starch for Kuzu)
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
pinch of fine sea salt

topping:
3 cups rolled oats
2 cups barley flour, spelt flour, brown rice flour, or sweet rice flour (I was only able to find Sweet Rice Flour so that is what I used)
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 c Safflower oil (I substituted corn starch)
3/4 c brown rice syrup (I searched for this online and found a honey substitute: 1/2 cup honey + 1.5 tablespoons water)
1/4 cup REAL maple syrup
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (I used walnuts)

Preheat oven to 350degrees
Combine peaches and blueberries in a 9" square baking dish

Reserve 1/4 cup of apple juice in a small bowl. Heat remaining 1.5 cups in a small saucepan. Place the Kuzu (cornstarch) in a small bowl, and add in the reserved apple juice. Let the kuzu mixture sit for about 10 seconds so it can dissolve into the apple juice. Stir and immediately wisk into the hot apple juice, stirring consistently to prevent lumps. Bring to boil and then let simmer for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat, add the vanilla and the salt. Mix and pour over fruit.

To make the topping, dry-roast the oats, flour, salt and cinnamon in a skillet over medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Heat the oil and syrups together in a separate pan, then pour over the flour mixture and mix will. Stir in the nuts. Crumble over the fruit.  I had a little extra crumble mix left after I filled my baking dish to the top, so I put it on a baking sheet for about 15 minutes and ate it like that- so good! It'd be good over yogurt too!

Cover the pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 15-25 minutes, until crumbles are golden and the filling is bubbling. Cool for about 30 minutes before serving. 

ENJOY! (and read the Kind Diet, its pretty cool)

No comments:

Post a Comment