Monday, January 9, 2012

Word of the Week 1: Tarry


Definition of TARRY verb \ˈter-ē, ˈta-rē\
1        a : to delay or be tardy in acting or doing
b : to linger in expectation : wait

The word I chose this week was “Tarry”, which I chose for definition b. I was lingering in expectation for a few things. First, my husband was sent off to Seattle for a routine training on January 2nd, which means I was tarrying for his return that weekend. This in and of itself isn’t that exciting or even anything varying from our routine lifestyle. However, it came right after the holidays where we were able to spend so much time together, so I feel like I really as just waiting for his return this time. I also felt slightly more down during his absence because I felt like it was setting a presence for the rest of the year. Dereck was gone 175 of 365 days in 2011, and so far in 2012 he’s been gone 6 out of 10. I felt like him taking off so soon in the year really was an eye opener – the alarm clock waking us up after the happy snooze button doze we were enjoying during Christmas and New Years. 

Also, the first week of the year is full of some Japanese holidays as well, so my work schedule was very light, and I was tarrying for the next week’s busy schedule (or for the rest of the month as it looks!). I have two or three more months of classes at the Japanese school before their school year ends in March. I will then be passing on my students to a friend of mine to take over, since I will be focusing on school. I am eager to get to the point where I can focus more on school and less on work, but I also am sad to be leaving my students and the Japanese teachers I’ve work with for the last two years behind. 

Lastly, I was tarrying for my graduate classes to start. Today I watched my first lecture and tomorrow my 2nd class should have its first lecture posted as well. I am excited to finally be starting since I feel like it’s been such a long process to get to this point! I am taking two courses in the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department: Mechanics of Composite Materials and Advanced Vehicle Dynamics.  Both are a bit of review since I’ve had a vehicle dynamics course before and am familiar with the basics of composites. I hope this will be a good semester to ease me back into the academic world.
So that was my week, and my word: Tarry!

One fun thing I did to break up the waiting... snowboarding! I'll end with the Picture of the Week: 
View from the Mountain at Nozawa Onsen Ski Resort in Nagano, Japan

No comments:

Post a Comment